Often called the family bike happening, Kidical Mass is a venue for parents to teach their kids how to ride safely. If you have ever wanted to ride your bike in a parade with kids of all ages, this is the perfect chance to make it happen. No matter your age, the ride is a blast for everyone! The more the merrier as we introduce the next generation to the joy of bicycles.
Every 1st Thursdays
May – September
Meet in Mitchell Park before we ride to Mission Plaza
Can I walk next to my child during the event?
- No, we cannot allow anyone to walk in the roadway as it is illegal and unsafe for participants.
- The ride is just about one mile, please be sure your child has the ability to keep up with the group so we can ensure the safety of all participants
Can I drop off my child for the ride and meet you at the end?
- No, we require all children to be with their parent/guardian at all times during the event.
When are Kidical Mass events held?
- Once a month from May – September in San Luis Obispo.
What does it cost?
- Kidical Mass events are FREE!
What do I need to bring?
- All participants must be on a bicycle (adults included), no walking in the roadway is allowed.
- All participants must wear a helmet (adults included).
What is covered in the safety talk?
- We cover the basics of the road (stay to the right, stop at stop signs/lights), remind everyone how to wear a helmet properly, ride with a buddy, and to always ride smart!
Kidical Mass is the family bike happening, an event to bring the joy of bicycles to the next generation!
Children of all ages ride side by side with their families during this monthly event to learn important bicycle safety skills in a fun, festive way. By teaching safe riding skills to children we can create a safer community of riders in the future. As we ride as a group we spread smiles and bicycle love to everyone we pass. Since the program began in 2010, over 900 people have participated in these family-focused events.
Kidical Mass serves to:
- Educate families to ride smart, and increase the visibility of families on bicycles.
- Provide a safe space for kids and families to learn how to ride together at a mellow pace.
- Teach kids the basic rules of the road.
- We are open to kids of all ages, join the fun!
Kidical Mass volunteer roles include:
- Hold our safety signs at select intersections to allow kiddos and families to safely cross.
- Ride with the group and set a positive example for everyone (obeying all laws).
Sign up to volunteer for a Kidical Mass event online here.
2014 themes are coming… Stay tuned!
- September 2013 - Unicorns
- August 2013 - Rainbows
- June 2013 - Fancy Pants
- May 2013 - Superheroes
- September 2012 – Music
- August 2012 - Circus
- July 2012 - Superheroes
- June 2012 - Fancy Pants
- May 2012 - Rainbows
- September 2011 - School Spirit
- August 2011 - Pajama Party
- July 2011 - Recycling
- June 2011 - Fancy Pants
- May 2011 - Cinco de Mayo
- September 2010 - Robots
- August 2010 - Pirates
- July 2010 - Rockets
- June 2010 - Bugs
- May 2010 - Sunshine
Every first Thursday
Meet at Mitchell Park for a brief safety talk before the ride
Blog: News & Events
- Last Chance! Voting for the 2014 Bike-In Movie Ends at 8 pm! 04/13/2014
- Fired Up Friday! Raise your Voice in Support of Safer Streets! 04/11/2014
- April Bike Ed Workshops 04/07/2014
- Advocacy Update: City Council Divided over Sales Tax 04/02/2014
- Vote for the 2014 Bike-In Movie 03/31/2014
860 Pacific St, Suite 105
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Bike Kitchen Hours:
Friday 12:00 - 5:00 pm
Saturday 12:00 - 5:00 pm
Sunday 12:00 - 5:00 pm