Expanding our Advocacy Force in 2014
Advocacy for better bikeways is the cornerstone of the Bicycle Coalition’s mission. It has been since our inception in 2001. Through the hard work of the Bicycle Coalition, our dedicated advocates and the public staff who put paint on the ground, San Luis Obispo County has become a destination for bicycle riders of all types from around the world. This reputation as a bicycle friendly community did not happen overnight, it happened because of your generous support. We ask you to make a year-end donation to help the Bicycle Coalition build an even stronger advocacy force.
In 2013 we have grown to over 800 members, this membership increase comes in tandem with big wins for bicycle funding and projects. In all corners of the County, councils and commissions are finding it hard to ignore the cost-effective benefits bicycles can provide for current and future generations.
Advocacy makes it happen, if we don’t show up and ask, bicycle projects will not get built. Thanks to our dedicated advocates we completed major victories this year:
- Achieved adoption of a new Bicycle Plan in San Luis Obispo including $64 million in projects.
- Maintained that future Bob Jones trail segments be removed from roadway traffic.
- Rallied community support for new bike lanes on Grand Avenue in Grover Beach.
- Secured 4x funding for bicycle projects in San Luis Obispo.
- Supported installation of new bike lanes on Rambouillet Road in Paso Robles.
- And even more!
In 2014 we will inspire decision makers to lead the charge for better bikeways or otherwise be replaced. Our plan for next year is to focus on advocacy, directing our energy to move more projects from concept to completion. We will:
- Cultivate an army of families advocating for young riders and safe routes to school.
- Influence elections to achieve a bicycle friendly majority serving in elected bodies countywide.
- Innovate our advocacy efforts through unique online tools and communications.
Make a donation of $25, $50 or $100 today; invest in the Bicycle Coalition and our ambitious vision for incredible bikeways in SLO County. Your generous support will make you an integral part of this shared vision. We are committed to making you a proud supporter again in 2014.
The SLO County Bicycle Coalition is a 501(c)3 non-profit. All donations are tax deductible and can be made on our secure online donation form below.